News Flash Home
The original item was published from 8/5/2020 4:38:22 PM to 8/6/2021 12:00:06 AM.

News Flash


Posted on: August 5, 2020

[ARCHIVED] Storm Update from NJBPU

As of 2 pm on Wednesday, approximately 908,000 utility customers remain without power statewide, down from a peak of 1.4 million yesterday. More than 2,000 out of state crews are helping our utilities restore electricity. This includes crews from Canada, Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida, Washington, D.C. and many Midwestern states. 

The state’s transmission system was damaged considerably yesterday. Additionally, poles and wires came down with fallen trees a major culprit. Therefore, the distribution system must first be repaired before the poles and wires can be repaired. BPU is in constant contact with the utilities concerning the repair work ensuring it is completed as expeditiously as possible. 

Unfortunately, complete power restoration will take some time. It is hoped by late Friday night 80% of customers will have their power back. The remaining 20% could take until the end of the weekend because those cases are more isolated and, therefore, will take more time. 

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Home

NJ Clean Energy Programs Survey

Posted on: September 15, 2023

Passing of BPU President Fiordaliso

Posted on: September 8, 2023

FY 2024 Vibrant Places Program by NJTPA

Posted on: August 31, 2023

State to Host Opioid Summit

Posted on: August 25, 2023

State Launches Stop Overdoses Website

Posted on: August 11, 2023

FY2024 Budget & ETR Update

Posted on: June 30, 2023

ETR Funding Doubled in FY2024 Budget

Posted on: June 29, 2023

OPRA Reform Legislation Introduced

Posted on: June 23, 2023

CY 2022 Audit Deadline Extended

Posted on: May 12, 2023

President Biden Proposes FY24 Budget

Posted on: March 10, 2023

SHBC Plan Design Committee Meeting Summary

Posted on: February 24, 2023

FY2023 Federal Omnibus Budget Passed

Posted on: January 9, 2023

SHBP Update: No Relief In New Year

Posted on: December 30, 2022

Federal Budget Update

Posted on: December 23, 2022

LEAP Grants Now Available

Posted on: December 23, 2022

Federal Budget Update

Posted on: December 19, 2022

State Health Benefits Update

Posted on: December 5, 2022

Revised Model Procurement Forms

Posted on: December 5, 2022

SHBP Rate Increase Adopted

Posted on: September 27, 2022

Blog Post: Available Federal Grants

Posted on: September 27, 2022