League Professional Development Webinar
“OPRA Spotlight: The Lyndhurst Decision and Police Records”
October 18, 2017
Location: Your Computer
Registration Form - WORD or PDF
What Happens after you register for an NJLM webinar
CEU credit for webinars
The recent New Jersey Supreme Court decision in North Jersey Media Group, Inc. v. Township of Lyndhurst confirmed that most written records created during a criminal investigation are beyond the reach of Open Public Records Act requests, but the Court found that police Use of Force reports are subject to OPRA unless the government can show that disclosure would be “inimical to the public interest.” The Court’s reasoning has opened the door to arguments that police dash camera and body camera footage may be subject to OPRA based on the extent that the Attorney General’s Law Enforcement Directive 2015-1 constituted a “law” requiring that footage to be created. Even if courts continue to hold that police camera footage is not subject to OPRA, the Supreme Court’s Lyndhurst decision has opened the door wide open to common law “right to know” requests for police camera footage. This webinar will discuss the implications of this case , how to handle such a request, and what it means for Municipal Records Custodians with regards to these types of OPRA requests.
11:00a.m -12:15p.m. -Seminar Topic and Discussion
-Jeffrey S. Jacobson, Esq, Former Chief Counsel to the New Jersey Attorney General and Partner, Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
-Chief Keith Bendul, Chief of Police, Fort Lee Police Department
REGISTRATION FEE: Member Rate: $35.00* Non-Member: $45.00
*Member rate applies to: Municipalities, State, County, and Municipal Utilities & Authorities.
- Visit the Seminar Calendar on the League website at www.njslom.org/seminars
- Download the Registration Form
- Fill out the form and either e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 609-695-0151*
- (3)Three Business Days before the webinar attendees will be sent an e-mail confirmation from “GoToWebinar” with a personalized link that will allow them to log in to the webinar at the appointed time. If you do not receive this link, please contact the League at 609-695-3481.
- At the scheduled time of the webinar, the attendee will click the link provided in the confirmation e-mail and will be automatically directed to the virtual classroom.
Please note, in order to connect to the webinar, you may be required you to install the GoToWebinar Codec. To do this, hit “run” or “launch “when prompted and the codec will automatically install.
- Please note, attendees must sign on to the webinar at the specified time. Any attendee that signs in after the start of the webinar may not be eligible for credit.
*For last minute registrations a faxed or e-mailed copy of the check or PO is acceptable.
Cancellations will be accepted until 4:00p.m. three (3) business days prior to the scheduled webinar. Cancellations must be in writing. After the Cancellation Deadline there are no refunds.
If you are unable to participate in the webinar and you would like to transfer your registration to someone else, you must Email the following information to email@example.com or fax to 609-695-0151:
- Name and title of attendee being substituted
- Name and title of new attendee
- Date and title of webinar
If you have any questions on substitutions please contact Suzanne at 609-695-3481 ext 111
CEUs: CMFO/CCFO-1.5 Off Admin/Anc; CTC-1.5 Gen/Dec;CPWM-1.5 GOVT;RMC-1.5 Rec;QPA-1.5 Off Admin/Gen Duties; RPPO/RPPS-1.5 M/S; NJCLE-1.5
IN CASE OF INCLEMENT WEATHER OR CANCELLATION: We will announce emergency seminar or webinar cancellations via recorded announcement on our Weather Hotline: 609-695-3481 ext. 200 and post announcements on our website www.njslom.org , Facebook page facebook.com/njleague, and Twitter @NJ_League after 6:00am on the morning of the meeting.