League Professional Development Seminar
“Leaves of Absence in New Jersey-A look at the Family Medical Leave Act, the New Jersey Family Leave Act, and ADA Compliance”
Wednesday, April 24, 2013
Robert Meyner Reception Center
8:30 AM – 12:30PM
Registration Form (Word / PDF)
Dena B. Calo, Esq., Partner and Director of the Human Resources Practice Group at Genova, Burns, Giantomasi & Webster and Joseph M. Hannon, Esq, Genova, Burns, Giantomasi & Webster will present the following program addressing how to manage employee “leaves” in New Jersey. Its goal is to help attendees understand and administer the Federal Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993, the New Jersey Family Leave Act, New Jersey Family Leave Insurance, New Jersey Temporary Disability Insurance and New Jersey Workers Compensation Act. More specifically, it will provide information on recent changes in the FMLA and NJFLA, help educate participants on the importance of understanding the difference between “leave laws” and “wage replacement laws”; provide an overview of NJFLI and provide an understanding of the interaction between and administration of FMLA, NJFLA, NJFLI, NJTDI and NJWCA. The breakdown of the program is as follows:
- FMLA – (1 hour) Summary of the law and its recent Amendments; Understanding and Identifying Qualifying Events and what constitutes a Serious Health Conditions; Requirements of and Reviewing Certifications; Intermittent Leave and Substitution of Paid Leave; Job Protection and Restoration; Employer and Employee Obligations under the Act; Calculation of leave entitlements; Managing attendance and abuse of leave.
- NJFLA – (30 minutes) Summary of the law; Understanding and Identifying Qualifying Events and what constitutes a Serious Health Condition; Interplay between and Comparison of the FMLA and NJFLA.
- Leave Laws v. Wage Replacement Laws (15 minutes) – Defining leave laws; Defining wage replacement laws; Comparison of Leave v. Wage Replacement Laws.
- New Jersey Family Leave Insurance (NJFLI) (30 minutes) – Background and Summary of the Law; Identification of the types of leave applicable; NJFLI funding and administration; Eligible Employees and Employers; Benefits available under NJFLI; Notice and Certification Requirements; Job Restoration; Interplay with FMLA, NJFLA, sick, vacation and other personal leave; State v. Private Plan administration; Challenging grants of benefits and penalties for false claims.
- Administration of FMLA, NJFLA, NJFLI, NJTDI and NJWCA (30 minutes) – Managing leave in New Jersey; Discussion of NJTDI and NJWCA; Basics on Employer Personal Time Off Policies; Hypothetical examples of Leave applications and calculation of benefits; practical tips for applying leaves in the workplace.
Each participant will receive a copy of the PowerPoint presentation upon arrival and the presenter will be available for questions throughout the presentation as well as after the presentation has concluded.
Dena B. Calo, Esq., Director of Human Resources Practices Group and Partner, at Genova, Burns, & Giantomasi
Joseph M. Hannon, Esq, Genova, Burns, & Giantomasi
8:30a.m.-9:00a.m. Registration, networking and continental breakfast
9:00a.m.-10:15a.m.-Seminar topics and discussion
10:30a.m.-12:30p.m.Seminar topics and discussion.
REGISTRATION FEE: Member Rate: $75.00* Non-Member: $100.00
Member rate applies to: Municipalities, State, County, and Municipal Utilities & Authorities.
-Visit www.njslom.org and click on Services
-Select Calendar of Events, Go to the date you are attending
-Download registration form, complete and fax it with your voucher to (609) 695-0151
Questions about registering – contact Suzanne Delany SDelany@njslom.com or
609-695-3481 extn 111
CEUs: CMFO/CCFO-4.0 Off MGMT; CPWm- 2.0 MGMT, 2.0 GOVT; RMC-4.0 Prof Devel; CPA-4.0 MGMT; CLE 3.9-Labor and Employment Law, PACLE-3.0
IN CASE OF INCLEMENT WEATHER OR CANCELLATION: We will announce emergency seminar cancellations via recorded announcement on our Weather Hotline: 609-695-3481 ext. 200 and post announcements on our website www.njslom.org after 6:00am on the morning of the meeting.