OCTOBER 17, 2013
New Jersey State League of Municipalities to Celebrate 98th Year
November 19-21 at Atlantic City Convention Center
The Atlantic City Convention Center will host thousands of public officials when the 98th Annual New Jersey State League of Municipalities Conference comes to town from Tuesday, November 19 through Thursday, November 21, 2013.
The three day conference, “Navigating Recovery and Renewal,” is the largest gathering of public officials in the United States.
More than 100 sessions will cover a wide range of topics, including: Sandy – One Year Later, Pensions and Health Benefits Reform, Ethics, Affordable Housing, Economic Development, Technology, Sustainability, Budgeting, Shared Services and other key municipal issues. Highlights of the sessions include:
Tuesday, November 19th
- Role and Responsibilities of Municipal Governing Body Members
- Pensions and Benefits Update on Retirement, Benefits and Services with speakers from the Division of Pensions and Benefits
- Government Energy Aggregation – Community Based Energy Savings, panelists included are from the Board of Public Utilities and the Department of Community Affairs
Wednesday, November 20th
- Former Governors – panelists include Governors Byrne, Florio, Bennett, McGreevey and DiFrancesco
- Sandy – One Year Later, speakers include Commissioner’s Richard Constable, DCA, Mary Anna Holden, BPU, Bob Martin, DEP and Jim Simpson, DOT
- Legislative Leaders Perspective on the Recovery, Restore, Rebuild agenda – panelists are Senate President Sweeney, Senate Minority Leader Kean, Assembly Speaker Oliver and Assembly MinorityLeader Bramnick
Thursday, November 21st
- Tax Revaluation – You Have Lost Ratables – What is your Next Step?
- Health Benefits Reform Federal and State panelists include Christopher Vaz, David Knowlton and Nilsa Gutierrez
- BPU Alternative Fuel Vehicles
For a complete list of League Conference Sessions, visit www.njslom.org.
“The League Conference provides invaluable information and networking opportunities to all New Jersey elected and appointed officials,” said Janice S. Mironov, League President and Mayor of East Windsor. “By gathering for a week of learning, leaders are fulfilling a critical part of their responsibilities to the citizens of New Jersey.”
More than 900 companies and agencies that provide goods and services will be on hand so municipal officials can compare services and look for the best bargains on behalf of their property taxpayers.
Another key function of the conference is to set the League’s legislative priorities and elect its leadership for the upcoming year.
A number of special breakfast and luncheon programs are also scheduled.
- Fifth Annual Sustainable Jersey Luncheon, noon, Tuesday, November 19, Sheraton Convention Center Hotel. The event will honor all municipal leaders and the Green Team volunteers who are helping to make their communities and our State national leaders in sustainability.
The 22nd Annual Mayors Box Luncheon, noon, Wednesday, November 20 in the Crown Ballroom at the Sheraton Convention Center Hotel. Scheduled speakers include League President and Mayor of East Windsor, Janice S. Mironov, Department of Environmental Protection Commissioner Robert Martin, Department of Transportation Commissioner James Simpson and BPU Commissioner Mary Anna Holden. The Mayors Hall of Fame and Innovation in Government Awards will be presented.
The Women in Government Breakfast, 8:00 a.m., Thursday, November 21, Pearl Ballroom, Sheraton Convention Center Hotel. The honored guest speakers will be Carol Beske, Former Mayor of West Windsor and Janice Kovach, Mayor of Clinton Town.
The Delegates Luncheon, noon, Thursday, November 21, Crown Ballroom, Sheraton Convention Center Hotel. Governor Chris Christie has been invited to give the keynote addresses.
Free shuttle services will be provided for conference attendees and exhibitors between the major Atlantic City hotels and the Convention Center. For more information, see www.njslom.org or call (609) 695-3481, ext. 112.
Press Passes are available by mail or at the information booth in the lobby of the Convention Center. A press room will be located in Exhibit Hall B, in front of the 100 aisle. Page Lori Buckelew from the League Information Booth for assistance during the conference.
For more information contact William G. Dressel, Jr., Executive Director of NJLM at firstname.lastname@example.org (609) 695-3481, ext. 122 or (609) 915-9072 (cell).
Follow the League on Twitter at: NJ_League