September 30, 2009
Re: Changes to the New Jersey Division of Local Government Website
The following changes have recently taken place on the New Jersey Division of Local Government website:
1. All local units that are receiving federal funds through the American Recovery and Revitalization Act (ARRA) have new and different responsibilities to meet ongoing audit responsibilities under the program rules. Local Finance Notice 2009-19
(www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/09lfns/2009-19.doc) provides important information and references about grant recipient responsibilities to implement internal controls at the start of their grant programs. A web page with links to federal agency guidance has been posted at www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/research/arra/index.shtml.
2. The Division of Public Contracts and EEO Compliance has updated its guidance on Training Allocation funds. Local governments still are not impacted. www.state.nj.us/treasury/contract_compliance/pdf/tfan_pa_fy2010.pdf
3. The State Department of Labor and Workforce Development has announced that the municipal government threshold for the New Jersey Prevailing Wage Act has increased to $14,187.00 effective July 1st, 2009. http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/wagehour/lawregs/prevailing_wage_law.html.
4. The Division has prepared Local Finance Notice 2009-18 (www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/09lfns/2009-18.doc) that covers the risks and internal controls that all local units should address when dealing with any third party payment organization.
5. The State Division of Public Contracts and EEO Compliance has released a rule proposing a readoption of their rules regarding affirmative action in public contracts for public entities. The rule proposal contains a substantial number of changes to the existing rules. Public comments can be filed through October 16. The rule proposal can be downloaded from www.state.nj.us/treasury/contract_compliance/pdf/summary.pdf.
6. The Federal Trade Commission has announced it will further delay the enforcement of its Red Flag Rule until November 1, 2009. Additional information regarding the guidance, compliance, and frequently asked questions can be found at www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/07/redflag.shtm.
8. The New Jersey State League of Municipalities is making ethics training available on two dates and locations. "Ethics - Back To Basics" will be held on Friday October 23, 2009 at the Bethlehem Community Center in Asbury, NJ and Thursday October 29, 2009 at Mercer County College in West Windsor, NJ.
This program is appropriate for all municipal officials and employees, experienced, or new. Director Susan Jacobucci, Esq, of the DCA, Division of Local Government Services will review the municipal ethical culture, concentrating on conflicts of interest and understanding and dealing with gifts. CEU's have been approved. Details and registration information are available online at www.njslom.com/cal102309_102909.html.
9. The courts have recently rendered decisions that greatly impact the manner in which records custodians must respond to requests for government records under the New Jersey Open Public Records Act. The Government Records Council ("GRC") has included a discussion of these recent decisions in its latest issue of "OPRA Alert" (Volume 2/July 2009). You can contact the GRC at 609-292-6830 regarding OPRA issues and you can also subscribe to the GRC List-Serve at www.nj.gov/grc/news/news.
10. The following information concerns actions local officials can take to help homeowners that are facing foreclosure or other housing related problems facing residents:
- Foreclosure Fast Facts: http://www.nj.gov/dca/hmfa/foreclosureprevention_resources.pdf
- The Mayor's Combat Kit: Materials designed especially for Mayors:
- The NJ Home Ownership Preservation Effort website provides information about resources that are available for homeowners who are delinquent in their mortgage payments, need counseling or have questions:
11. The DEP Bulletin contains a list of construction permit applications recently filed or acted upon by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. The latest issue was released September 16, 2009. This issue can be viewed online at: www.nj.gov/dep/bulletin/bu2009_0916.pdf.
Very truly yours,
William G. Dressel, Jr.