|July 30, 2008
There's lot's of news in your latest DLGS-News List Serve - so please take a close look.
1. CY 2008 Statements of State Aid for municipalities that applied for Extraordinary Aid are now posted on the Division of Local Government Services' web site at
www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/muniaid/08_aid/08sosa/menu_ssa_2008.shtml. Local Finance Notice 2008-12, which provides important background and instructions on the use of the Notice is available online at www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/08lfns/2008-12.doc.
2. Governor Corzine has signed into law the "Statewide Non-Residential Development Fee Act," which imposes a 2.5 percent development fee on all non-residential new construction and additions. The fee took effect on certificates of occupancy issued on and after July 18. Pursuant to the Act a certificate of occupancy cannot be issued without the fee being paid. Additional information may be found at: www.nj.gov/dca/coah/legislation.shtml.
3. The Division of Pensions and Benefits has become aware of efforts by local government units to offer incentives to their employees which in many cases encourage early retirement. The Division is required to review these proposed Separation of Employment Agreements to determine whether they are early retirement incentives, and if so, are authorized by law. The Division's Fact Sheet #52 discusses legislation that authorizes Early Retirement Incentive Programs for municipalities, counties, local authorities, and fire districts. The fact sheet is online at www.state.nj.us/treasury/pensions/fact52.htm.
4. Join the Department of Community Affairs and the New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency on September 23-24, 2008 for the New Jersey Governor's Conference on Housing and Community Development at the Atlantic City Convention Center. Create your own custom learning experience with a variety of exciting workshops while earning AICP credits, NAHMA continuing education credits for NAHP renewal, education credits toward RAM designation and .5 bonus points toward 2008 Managing Agent Evaluation and credits for housing authority members. For further information, please visit us at www.njhousingconference.com.
5. The deadline for senior and disabled HOMEOWNERS to file their 2007 Homestead Rebate Applications has been extended from June 2, 2008, to August 15, 2008. The deadline for filing 2007 Senior Freeze (property tax reimbursement) applications has also been extended to August 15 from the original June 2 due date. The Homestead Rebate
Application deadline has also been extended for all eligible TENANTS, whether they're seniors or disabled or not. The tenant rebate application (Form TR-1040) that was due on April 15, 2008 has a new filing deadline of August 15. Agents are available during normal business hours from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
6. The DEP Bulletin contains a list of construction permit applications recently filed or acted upon by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. The latest issue was released July 23, 2008. This issue can be viewed online at: http://www.nj.gov/dep/bulletin/bu2008_0723.pdf
Homestead Rebate Questions:
(Homeowners) 1-888-238-1233 (Tenants) 1-888-213-8623
Senior Freeze Questions: 1-800-882-6597
Very truly yours,
William G. Dressel, Jr.