NOTICE: Telephonic hearing, July 31, 2008 at 10:30 am
Respond by July 23 to Armand Dekaser at firstname.lastname@example.org testify
July 11, 2008
The State and Local Government Subcommittee of the Governor’s Blue Ribbon Advisory Panel on Immigrant Policy invites you to participate in a telephonic hearing on Thursday, July 31, at 10:30 am on issues related to immigrant integration at the municipal level. The call will be moderated by Englewood City Mayor, Michael Wildes, Panel member and Chair of the League of Municipalities' Immigration Task Force.
Although the full panel has already elicited testimonies from the general public through three public hearings, the State and Local Government subcommittee would benefit from input from the League of Municipalities in crafting its recommendations on general best practices for municipalities.
The panel hopes to provide a resource guide for municipal leaders highlighting successful integration initiatives. The guide will be based upon the panel’s research and will help communities become more cohesive by utilizing/expanding existing structures.
The guide will address the following:
- municipal IDs
- feasibility, associated costs, pros and cons
- welcome/community/day labor centers
- capacity to use existing structures (e.g. attached to CBO or visitor center)
- ensuring access to services
- delivering services in culturally and linguistically competent manner
- affordable housing
- encompassing immigrant community in affordable housing plans
- local law enforcement and public safety
- garnering trust between law enforcement and the immigrant community
All municipal leaders with experience in immigrant integration initiatives are welcome to provide testimony to the subcommittee. Those who cannot provide telephonic testimony can submit written testimony.
If you are interested in testifying, you MUST RSVP by Wednesday, July 23 to Armand Dekaser at email@example.com.