|June 10, 2008
State Budget Crunch Time
URGENT ACTION NEEDED
The Governor’s budget team has been meeting regularly with Senate President Codey and Assembly Speaker Roberts, with a goal of adopting a final budget by next Thursday, June 19.
According to press reports, the latest proposal under discussion involves, among other things, a delay in the phase-out of the Transitional Energy Facility Assessment (TEFA) collected from energy producing utilities. This delay would net the State an additional $62 million. And, again, according to the press, this funding would be divided between hospitals (up to $50 million) and municipalities (up to $20 million).
As the budget deadline approaches, it will be easy for State Legislators to lose their focus on the absolute need for the restoration of a large portion of the $190 million in municipal property tax relief funding, slated to be cut by the Corzine Administration.
Here is what you can do…..
- Once again, contact your legislators and urge them to support full restoration. Explain the impact of the cuts on your fellow citizens. Ask for their commitment.
- Contact Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee Chair, Senator Barbara Buono, and Assembly Budget Committee Chair, Assemblyman Lou Greenwald, and urge them to support full restoration. Explain the impact of the cuts on your fellow citizens. Ask for their commitment.
- Contact Senate President Richard Codey and Assembly Speaker Joseph Roberts and urge them to support full restoration. Explain the impact of the cuts on your fellow citizens. Ask for their commitment.
- Use whatever contacts you have with fellow citizens, civic groups, business groups, the media, etc., to build momentum for full restoration.
- See Budget Cuts – More Action Needed
|Hon. Barbara Buono, Chair
Senate Budget & Appropriations Committee
Two Lincoln Highway, Suite 401
Edison, NJ 08820
Hon. Richard J. Codey
449 Mount Pleasant Avenue
West Orange, NJ 07052
Hon. Louis Greenwald, Chair
Assembly Budget Committee
1103 Laurel Oak Road, Suite 142
Voorhees, NJ 08043
Hon. Joseph Roberts
Brooklawn Shopping Plaza
Rt 130 South & Browning Road
Brooklawn, NJ 08030
You need to act now. Next week may be too late. If you have any questions on any of this, contact Jon Moran at 609-695-3481, ext. 121.
Very truly yours,
William G. Dressel, Jr.