June 8, 2009
Re: Important New Information from the Division of Local Government Services
We would like to draw your attention to some important new information on the website of the Division of Local Government Services.
1. The Division of Taxation has extended the filing deadlines for 2008 homestead rebate and property tax reimbursement (Senior Freeze) applications from June 21, 2009 to August 17, 2009. New Jersey homeowners who were 65 or older, blind, or disabled as of December 31, 2008, have received their 2008 New Jersey homestead rebate Application Packets. The homeowner rebate automated telephone filing system (1-877-658-2972) and Internet filing application on the Division of Taxation Web site (www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/) will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week during the filing period. Homestead rebate checks are scheduled to be mailed to qualified applicants on or about July 31, 2009. For assistance, call 1-888-238-1233 or e-mail email@example.com
2. The State Division of Purchase and Property regularly updates a "vehicle cutoff sheet" (www.state.nj.us/treasury/purchase/mnmaster.pdf) that shows summary information and the last date orders can be placed for each type of vehicle on a State contract. Purchasing agents may want to bookmark the site so they can link to it directly. A list of all vehicles, parts, and services State contracts is at www.state.nj.us/treasury/purchase/contract_types.shtml#15.
3. The Department of Community Affairs (DCA) invites municipalities with traditional downtowns or commercial corridors to apply to its Main Street New Jersey Program, which provides participating communities with proven technical assistance and training in revitalizing downtown business districts. The 2009 application process will begin with a free application workshop from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on June 30 at Thomas Edison State College in Trenton. Letters of Intent to Apply are due by July 30 and communities must submit their applications by September 9. Register at www.mainstreetnewjersey.com/regform_appwkshp.html or contact Jef Buehler, (609) 633-9769.
4. The Governmental Audit Quality Center (www.aicpa.org/GAQC) is a CPA firm-based voluntary membership Center, with approximately 1,200 member firms, designed to help CPAs meet the challenges of performing quality governmental audits, including single audits. Member firms are required to adhere to membership requirements that go beyond what they would otherwise have to do to perform these audits for the purpose of enhancing the quality of their audit practices. In return, member firms receive additional quality-related resources.
5. New Jersey will be celebrating its 345th birthday beginning 2:00 pm on Wednesday June 24 at the New Jersey State Museum in Trenton. Two priceless historical documents will be on display: The actual June 24, 1664 royal grant that established New Jersey and a rare, original copy of the Declaration of Independence printed July 4, 1776. Special tours will be offered of the State Museum, the State House, the State Archives, and the World War II memorial. The fife and drum corps of the Old Barracks will perform and guests will be treated to a 345th birthday cake! For more information, call 609-984-0902
If you have any questions or concerns about this communication, please contact Deborah M. Kole, Staff Attorney, at the League, Ex. 137, or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Very truly yours,
William G. Dressel, Jr.