|February 27, 2008
Important New Information from the Division of Local Government Services
We would like to draw your attention to some important new information on the website of the Division of Local Government Services.
1. Local Finance Notice 2008-4 www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/08lfns/2008-4.doc contains information on the CY 2008 Extraordinary Aid application process. The deadline for filing all related budget documents is March 21, 2008.
2. Local Finance Notice 2008-3 www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/08lfns/2008-3.doc describes important issues relating to CY 2008 municipal and county budget preparation and filing. The LFN should be reviewed by all finance officials preparing their CY 2008 budgets.
3. The State Public Employment Relations Commission reminds municipalities about a State law requiring all public employers to file copies of all collective negotiations agreements with the Public Employment Relations Commission (PERC). For those who settled contracts in the last year, or are negotiating new contracts, please send them to PERC at firstname.lastname@example.org as this is an ongoing responsibility.
4. Conference on NJ Heritage Tourism: The N.J. Historical Commission will be holding their 15th annual conference on March 20, at the Trenton War Memorial. You can get a copy of the convention brochure by visiting www.newjerseyhistory.org or call Ms. Diane Dillon at 609-984-3458.
5. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Office of Federal, State and Local Governments has issued an updated Taxable Fringe Benefits Guide www.gfoa.org/downloads/irsfringebenefit2008.pdf. The guide can be a helpful tool for determining the taxability, withholding, and reporting requirements for employee fringe benefits. For a copy of the guide, see www.gfoa.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=93&Itemid=105.
6. Applications for the 2007 property tax reimbursement (PTR) are being mailed to senior citizens and disabled residents who may be eligible for the PTR Program. The deadline for filing the applications is June 2, 2008.
Details of the program are online at www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/propfrez.htm and www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/relief.htm. Questions can be e-mailed to email@example.com.
7. The 80th Annual Governor's Occupational Safety and Health Awards Program will honor employers with outstanding safety records and practices. The Department of Workforce and Labor Development encourages participation from government agencies. Please contact Joyce Crea at (609) 984-4738 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. The Division has released Local Finance Notice 2008-2
(www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/08lfns/2008-2.doc) that extends budget deadlines for CY 2008 budgets. The Notice also contains basic information about appropriation and property tax levy referendums. Please share this information with appropriate staff in your organization.
9. The deadline for municipal and county planning and zoning board members to complete the required Basic Course in Land Use Law and Planning has been extended from 1/17/08 to 3/31/08. For questions, please contact the Office of Smart Growth at 609-292-7156.
10. The DEP Bulletin contains a list of construction permit applications recently filed or acted upon by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. The latest issue was released February 13, 2008. View it online at www.nj.gov/dep/bulletin/bu2008_0213.pdf.
If you have any questions or concerns about this communication, please contact Deborah M. Kole, Staff Attorney, at the League, Ex. 137, or at email@example.com
Very truly yours,
William G. Dressel, Jr.