January 15, 2008
Re: Important New Information from the
Division of Local Government Services
We would like to draw your attention to some important new information on the website of the Division of Local Government Services.
1. Local Finance Notice 2008-1 (www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/08lfns/2008-1.doc) provides information about limits on dates public bids can be accepted. This will assist local units to remain in compliance with State laws limiting the receipt of bids on Mondays and days after State or federal holidays.
2. The State has now released new contracts for the purchase of information technology, including desktop PCs, laptops, servers, and a wide range of other equipment and software. Piggybacking on the Western States Contracting Alliance, the State is now part of a national network of government purchasing agencies that leverages the combined volume to secure low prices. The contract can be used by all contracting units in lieu of the Mini-Micro Contract. Program details are online at www.nj.gov/treasury/purchase/noa/contracts/m0483.shtml.
3. Applications for State Library Per Capita Library Aid (PCSA) are now available. The application covers the FISCAL year from January to December 2007, or July 2006 to June 2007 for those municipalities on the STATE FISCAL YEAR. Applications must be submitted to the New Jersey State Library no later than March 15, 2008. Contact Victoria Rosch at 609-278-2640 ext. 157 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. CY 2008 Budget Introductions: The Local Finance Board will meet this Thursday to consider extending the calendar, as they did last year, for at least one month. This will affect all budget dates, including the January 15, Mayor-Council Faulkner Act transmittal of the proposed budget to the governing body. The Board's action will also set dates for property tax levy and appropriation cap referendums.
5. The Department of Community Affairs (DCA) Office of Smart Growth is now accepting applications for the 2008 round of Smart Future Planning Grants. Please visit https://njdcasage.state.nj.us/ to view the available grant opportunities. Please note that the DCA Office of Smart Growth will consider only those applications that meet the specific criteria described in the RFP, and only one proposal per applicant will be accepted.
6. State contract vehicle awards have been made, effective December 19, 2007 and ending December 18, 2008, for contract T-2094, AUTOMOBILES, HYBRID, FRONT WHEEL DRIVE, COMPACT AND MID-SIZE (Dodge Avenger). See
7. Vehicle awards have also been made, effective December 26, 2007 and ending December 25, 2008, for contract T-1385, ALTERNATIVE FUEL VEHICLE
(AFV) SEDAN, MID-SIZE, 4-DOOR, FLEXIBLE FUEL (Toyota Prius). See
8. Register today for the 2008 Governor's Conference for Women on March 5, 2008 at the Atlantic City Convention Center, featuring keynote speakers Jon S. Corzine - Governor of the State of New Jersey; Naomi Judd - Award-Winning Entertainer and Author; and Suze Orman - Television Host, Author, Columnist & Writer/Producer. For more information, visit www.njwomensconference.com.
9. The 10th anniversary NJEPA Emergency Preparedness Conference will be held at the Tropicana Resort on May 8 - 9, 2008. For complete information, visit the NJ Emergency Preparedness Association's website at www.njepa.org.
10. Smart Future Planning Grant Request for Proposals (RFP): The Department of Community Affairs (DCA) Office of Smart Growth is now accepting applications for the 2008 round of Smart Future Planning Grants. Please visit www.njdcasage.state.nj.us to view the available grant opportunities. Please note that the DCA Office of Smart Growth will consider only those applications that meet the specific criteria described in the RFP, and only one proposal per applicant will be accepted.
11. The New Jersey Environmental Infrastructure Trust is offering 2 free finance seminars. The seminars will be held on February 5, 2008 at the New Jersey Bar Association, Rutgers Law Center, New Brunswick; and on February 7, 2008 at the Enterprise Center BBC, Mt. Laurel. CEUs have been approved by the Department of Community Affairs. Both sessions are from 8:30 - 12:30 pm and seating is limited. To register online, visit:http://www.njeit.org/seminar.htm
12. Technology Coordinator Mailing List: The Division has been developing a local government (municipal, county, authority, fire district, and schools) Technology Coordinator Mailing list. Please let whoever manages your technology issues (by whatever title) know about our list-serve at:http://www.nj.gov/dca/surveys/tcsurvey.htm
If you have any questions or concerns about this communication, please contact Deborah M. Kole, Staff Attorney, at the League, Ex. 137, or at email@example.com
Very truly yours,
William. G. Dressel, Jr.