January 11, 2010
Re: Changes to the DLGS website
The following changes have taken place on the Division of Local Government Services website.
1. Both "state fiscal year" and "calendar year" municipalities can now file their Uniform Construction Code (UCC) Annual Report on-line at http://fs2.formsite.com/njdca/uccrpt/form_login.html. CFO's and Construction Officials can direct their questions or need for assistance by e-mail the Office of Regulatory Affairs at ORA@dca.state.nj.us.
2. 2010 Limits on Bid Acceptance Dates: The Division of Local Government Services has released Local Finance Notice 2009-28 (http://www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/09lfns/2009-28.doc). This Notice provides guidance on dates when public bids and competitive contracts cannot be accepted and dates when they can be accepted. Please share this information with anyone in your organization that is involved in preparing bids.
3. Purchasing Agent reform legislation approved: Governor Corzine recently enacted P.L. 2009, c.166 (A-1645). The new law amends existing laws relating to Qualified Purchasing Agents and the appointment of purchasing agents by all local units. The law does not take effect until January 1, 2011. This delay provides time for implementation and transition procedures to be developed. A comprehensive Local Finance Notice on the law will be issued soon.
4. The New Jersey State Library has created a web site that assists New Jersey residents and businesses to help them through tough economic times. The site has a wide range of useful links that may be of assistance to local officials that are trying to assist their residents address their concerns. Local officials should keep the site handy and if appropriate, promote its use in their publications. The site: http://gethelp.njlibraries.org/ has links and references in the following areas:New Jersey Work Tools, New Jersey Financial Tools, New Jersey Housing Tools, New Jersey Health Tools, New Jersey Parental Tools, Tools for Seniors
5. IRS Publication 963 Update: The IRS Federal-State Reference Guide, which provides local government employers a comprehensive resource for guidance on Social Security and Medicare coverage and Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) tax withholding issues - has been updated for November 2009. Topics addressed in the publication include determining worker status, public retirement systems, Social Security and Medicare coverage benefits, Section 218 agreements, employment tax laws, and other tax issues. Publication 963 is on the IRS Web site at www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/p963_1109.pdf.
6. 2010 Protected Tenancy Figures: the latest per capita income and maximum eligibility income figures to be used in considering protected tenancy applications for senior and disabled citizens are now available online at www.nj.gov/dca/codes/lt/table_of_contents.shtml/. Questions may be sent to the Landlord-Tenant Information Service by e mailto: LTInfo@dca.state.nj.us.
7. An application and instructions from the State Library for State Per Capita Library Aid (PCSA) were recently sent to Chief Financial Officers. The application covers the fiscal year from January to December 2009, or July 2008 to June 2009 for those municipalities on the State fiscal year. If you did not receive the information or have questions regarding the application, please call the Library at 609-278-2640 ext. 133 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. The Division of Pensions and Benefits has released FY 2010 employer billing information for local employers for PERS and PFRS. The tables are online at www.state.nj.us/treasury/pensions/2010-employer-billing.htm. The FY 2010 tables do not show FY 2009 information because of the impact of pension deferral. The 2009 billing information is on-line at www.state.nj.us/treasury/pensions/2009-employer-billing.htm for those who want to contact to view that. The information in the FY 2010 table can be used in the preparation of CY and SFY 2010 budgets.
9. The Division has released Local Finance Notice 2009-26
(www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/09lfns/2009-26.doc) that describes the Budget Cap COLA for CY 2010 Municipal and County Budgets. In addition, the Division has posted all CY 2010 budget forms online at www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/fiscal/budmenu.shtml. Please share this with appropriate staff in your organization.
10. Local Finance Notice 2009-25 (www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/09lfns/2009-25.doc) removes the requirement for local authorizes and fire districts to appropriate their annual required contribution for Other Post-Employment Benefits in their budget. Local Finance Notice 2009-13 (www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/09lfns/2009-13.doc) is revised to remove the requirement. LFN 2009-25 provides additional guidance on how OPEB liabilities are to be displayed on balance sheets and budget disclosures.
11. POSTPONED: The NJ State League of Municipalities has postponed its seminar that was scheduled for January 19, 2010 at the PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ. The seminar will be rescheduled for a future date. It will cover the New Jersey Economic Development Authority's new Economic Redevelopment & Growth (ERG) grant and Urban Hub programs, the Federal Recovery Zone Bond program supported through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), and how the State's Environmental Infrastructure Trust can help finance economic development activities.
13. The DEP Bulletin contains a list of construction permit applications recently filed or acted upon by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. The latest issue was released December 16, 2009. This issue can be viewed online at: www.nj.gov/dep/bulletin/bu2009_1216.pdf.
Very truly yours,
William G. Dressel, Jr.