January 2, 2009
RE: Division of Local
Government Services News
Here are the latest news and reminders from the Division of Local Government Services.
1. CALENDAR YEAR Chief Financial Officers: Had been advised that the deadline for the receipt of C-159 resolutions is December 26, 2008. Exceptions will be handled on a case by case basis. Now is the time to review all of the summary financial reports on the website. Call the Division at 609-292-4806 if there are discrepancies on any of the reports.
2. Local Finance Notice 2008-25 (www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/08lfns/2008-25.doc ) reviews the pending legislative proposal to defer pension contributions and its impact on FY 2009 budgets. Please review it carefully and share it with appropriate local officials.
3. Local Finance Notice 2008-23 (www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/08lfns/2008-23.doc ) provides a CY 2009 Budget Update discussing Budget Cap Cost of Living Adjustments. Local officials should review this information and advise other local officials as appropriate of the Notice.
4. Reports for each municipality's 2008 Senior Citizen and Veterans' Tax Exemption reimbursement has now been posted on the Division of Local Government Services website at www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/fiscal/2008_data/08svd/menu_svd_2008.shtml . Officials can download a report of their municipality's payment that was received on November 3, 2008. The report shows the breakdown of payment categories, including the Administrative Fee.
5. The 2008 Fire District Budget Workbook has been updated to properly address calculations related to Capital Appropriations and the levy cap. If the District's budget contains Capital Appropriations, please review this information with your budget preparer. The revised workbook can be found at www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/authreg/09forms/fd2009budwkbook.xls .
1. Local Finance Notice 2008-21 (www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/08lfns/2008-21.doc ) "Online Auctions and Other Procurement Related Issues" provides updated information on the use of online auctions for the sale of government personal property. It covers other matters related to the sale of property, including abandoned vehicles and forfeited property, use of classified ad websites, and sale of renewable energy certificates. A second section covers range of local and public school contracting issues including affirmative action rules, adjustments for petroleum price changes, the Local Government Energy Audit Program, limits on membership in national cooperative purchasing programs, and using online legal ads as an affidavit of publication.
2. Local Finance Notice 2008-20 (www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/08lfns/2008-20.doc ) "Contracting for Renewable Energy Services - P.L. 2008, c. 83" covers important public contracting and implementation issues of this new law that promotes local government use of solar and related renewable energy activities. It also references the new Local Government Energy Audit program administered by the BPU as a preliminary step to implementing solar programs.
3. Local Government Energy Audit Grant Program: The New Jersey Board of Public Utilities has announced the launch of a new program aimed at assisting local governments in identifying opportunities for energy efficiency. The Local Government Energy Audit Program is open to public buildings owned by local government agencies and will provide funding for investment-grade energy audits from one of five pre-qualified energy auditing firms. All local governments located within the service territory of at least one of New Jersey's public utility companies are eligible. Details and examples outlining the incentive payment process are provided on the New Jersey Clean Energy Program Web site at www.NJCleanEnergy.com/ssb .
4. The DEP Bulletin contains a list of construction permit applications recently filed or acted upon by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. The latest issue was released December 3, 2008. This issue can be viewed online at: www.nj.gov/dep/bulletin/bu2008_1203.pdf.
For more information, contact Deborah Kole at 609-695-3481, ext. 137
Very truly yours,
William G. Dressel, Jr.