New Jersey Municipalities, the magazine of the New Jersey State League of Municipalities, is published every month, except for July, August and September. The 9,317 circulation consists of New Jersey municipal officials and staff, state-level officials and staff, and professionals interested in local government issues.
1. Articles can be from 600 to 1,200 words.
2. The deadline is usually the 20th of the month two months before publication (i.e. October 20 for the December issue). The exceptions are the deadline for the October issue, August 10; the November deadline, September 15; and the February deadline, December 15. If the deadline is not a working day, you have until the next working day.
3. Please e-mail your submission to NJM@NJSLOM.org as an attached file, preferably in Microsoft Word.
4. Please provide a name for the byline and a one sentence bio of the author. We prefer that municipal articles are bylined by the mayor. Also send a high resolution (100kb+) photo of the author or authors.
5. Nearly all articles include photos. Please e-mail them as separate .jpg, .bmp or .tiff files of over 100kb and include caption information (who, what, when, where) and photo credit info if required. If the picture is of one or two recognizable individuals, please ask the subjects to sign a release. If the picture is of a minor, a parent or guardian must sign our release form. A release is not necessary if the picture is of a large group of people. (A release will both respect an individual’s right to privacy and enable us to include the sort of pictures which will continue to make our magazine an excellent publication.) If you can’t supply a photo, we will try to find a general shot from a stock photography website.
(Photo Release Form - Word and PDF).
6. Also e-mail figures, charts or graphs as separate documents, pdfs, or jpg, tiff or bmp files.
If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to call Managing Editor Kyra Duran (Ext. 123) or League Executive Director Bill Dressel (Ext.122) at 609-695-3481 or e-mail us at NJM@NJSLOM.org