September 30, 2010
Re: New Content on DLGS Web Site
The following changes have recently taken place on the DLGS website:
1. Calendar Year municipalities are reminded that their Best Practices Checklist is due by October 1, 2010. Checklists postmarked, emailed to DLGS@dca.state.nj.us, or faxed to 609-292-9073 by October 1st will be accepted. The form is online at www.state.nj.us/dca/lgs/fiscal/bud_forms/best_practices_2010.pdf. A Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document can be obtained at www.njslom.org/Best_Practices_Frequently_Asked_QuestionsClarification.pdf.
2. UCC Annual Report: The NJ Uniform Construction Code Regulations - NJAC 5:23-4.17 (b) require that municipalities file a report that accurately portrays the receipts and expenses of the local enforcing agency for code enforcement purposes. The UCC Annual Report, which has been filed by CFOs and Construction Officials since 1994, should be completed on-line (http://fs2.formsite.com/njdca/uccrpt/form_login.html) by both SFY and CY municipalities. For questions or assistance, please e-mail the Office of Regulatory Affairs at email@example.com or telephone 609-984-7672.
3. A new DLGS "Continuing Education Calendar" is now available at www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/certunit/certmenu.shtml. You can get information and register for upcoming approved continuing education programs for purposes of obtaining contact hours to renew your certification(s). The Calendar can be used to view courses by type of certification, subject area, number of hours, etc. In addition, you can set up an email notification to remind you of upcoming programs that you are scheduled to attend. For any questions regarding the use of this calendar, please contact the Division's Certification unit at 609-292-9757 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. The "OPRA Alert" Volume 3 Issue 1 (September 2010) is now available to view on the Government Records Council website at www.nj.gov/grc/news/alerts/. This OPRA Alert discusses legislation officially signed into law by Governor Christie that changes OPRA's copying fees. If you have any questions regarding OPRA issues, please contact the GRC for guidance at 1-866-850-0511 or email@example.com.
5. The New Jersey State Industrial Safety Committee In Partnership with the Federal OSHA Avenel Office and Industry experts are offering a 2010 Fall Training Program on Monday, October 25, 2010 from 7:30 a.m. until 12 - noon. The course is titled "Emerging Issue - Combustible Dust" and will be held at PSE&G, 4000 Hadley Road, South Plainfield. Seating is limited and you must register by contacting Dhruti Thaker at firstname.lastname@example.org, Dr. Koshy Koshy at email@example.com or Rosemarie Kulp at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. The Division of Taxation recently mailed 2009 Senior Freeze (Property Tax Reimbursement) checks to eligible applicants who filed by the original deadline of June 1, 2010. The application deadline has now been extended to November 1, 2010. Public inquiries can be made by calling 800-882-6597 or e-mail email@example.com
7. Local Finance Notice 2010-17 (www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/10lfns/2010-17.doc) announces the COLA rate for SFY 2011 budgets and the increase rate in State Health Benefit rates which will
drive cap exceptions for all SFY 2011 budgets. The COLA rate for SFY 2011 budgets is 0%, however the governing body can pass the COLA ordinance for an increase of 3.5%, which will also allow you to bank any unused cap. There is no automatic increase to the cap base. The SHB increase is 11.6%. Please review the notice to determine how this information affects your
8. The New Jersey State League of Municipalities will be hosting Open Public Records Act (OPRA) Seminars from 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. on the following dates and locations: Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at The Enterprise Center (BCC), 3331 Route 38, Mount Laurel, NJ and Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at The PNC Arts Center (Robert Meyner Reception Center), GSP Exit 116, Holmdel, NJ. This seminar will assist the public, local government employees, governing bodies, departments, boards and commissions to better understand the mandatory requirements of the Open Public Records Act, as well as recent rulings by the Government Records Council and NJ Superior Court that affect the disclosure of government records. CEU's have been approved. Information is available at www.njslom.org/cal100510_101310.html
or contact Suzanne Delany at 609-695-3481 ext.111.
9. Local Finance Notice 2010-12 (www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/10lfns/2010-12.doc) provides guidance regarding "The Impact of Chapter 2, P.L. 2010 on Local Unit Health Benefits Programs." The Notice provides important guidance to all local employers, those who are
members of the State Health Benefits Program and those who are not.
Very truly yours,
William G. Dressel, Jr.