April 21, 2010
Re: Defeated School Budget Webinar
Thursday, April 22, 2010
12:00 noon to 1:00 p.m.
Yesterday New Jersey rejected the majority of proposed school budgets for the first time since 1976. Defeated school district budgets must be submitted to the corresponding municipal governing body for review in consultation with the school board. The municipality must reach a decision on the 2010-2011 school tax levy by May 19.
The process is a complicated one, influenced by state law and regulation, as well as current levels of taxation and spending. The League of Municipalities is co-producing an informative conference call with the New Jersey School Boards Association to examine how to handle defeated school budgets. This conference call will be held on Thursday, April 22 from 12:00 noon to 1:00 p.m. There is no cost to participate however pre-registration is strongly advised because there are additional benefits available to pre-registered participants.
Presenters for the April 22 conference call are:
- Bret Schundler, New Jersey Commissioner of Education
- Andrew Lucas, Mayor, Manalapan Twp.
- Joseph Monzo, Chief Financial Officer, South Brunswick Twp.
- John Donahue, Executive Director, New Jersey Association of School Business Officials
- Neil K. Cramer, Sussex Executive County School Business Administrator
- Terry Sierchio, School Business Administrator, Hopatcong
- Michael F. Kaelber, Esq., Director of Legal & Policy Services, New Jersey School Boards Association, Moderator
To register, fill out the short form at https://admin.adobeconnect.com/_a716558115/e57763550/event/registration.html. Pre-registered participants will be called by the conference service when the conference begins. Pre-registration also assures you will be emailed the packet of materials the morning of the conference and you will have access to the NJ School Boards Association’s Facebook discussion page following the conference. Materials will be posted on the League website following the conference.
If you have questions contact Michael J. Darcy at the League office 609-695-3481 ext 116 or MDarcy@njslom.org
Very truly yours,
William G. Dressel, Jr.