New Hersey State of Muncicipalities Facebook Twitter  Linkedin with NJSLOM NJSLOM YouTube Channel NJLM Blog       


December 4, 2013

Re: DEP Notice- Diesel Vehicle Retrofit Requirement

Dear Mayor:

The League is forwarding to you an important notice from the New Jersey Department
of Environmental Protection (DEP) concerning diesel vehicles, attached herein.

Very truly yours,

William G. Dressel, Jr.
Executive Director


New Jersey’s Diesel Retrofit Law requires municipal, county and state diesel vehicle owners to have submitted compliance plans to the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection by September 8, 2011.  Over 75% of municipal and county governments have completed plans for retrofitting their diesel engines with particle control devices to protect public health and meet the requirements.   We need the remaining 25% to catch up.   This is a requirement and the capital cost of the retrofits are fully funded, so there is no out of pocket cost to your municipality.  However, the funding runs out soon.  If you don’t complete and implement an approved retrofit plan, you will not be funded and will miss out on lowering toxic diesel emissions in your community.

Diesel particulate emissions contain more than 40 known and probable carcinogens, including fine particles, commonly called soot. These pollutants are known to cause or exacerbate asthma, bronchitis, lung cancer, heart disease and premature death.  By reducing exposure to diesel particulates through retrofits to vehicles, New Jersey can save lives and reduce health care costs.

Please direct your managers responsible for diesel trucks and other equipment to download the forms from or call Tony Iavarone in the NJDEP Bureau of Mobile Sources at (609) 292-7953 for assistance.



Privacy Statement | NJLM FAQ
New Jersey State League of Municipalities • 222 West State Street • Trenton, NJ 08608 • (609) 695-3481
  FAX: (609) 695-0151