New Hersey State of Muncicipalities Facebook Twitter  Linkedin with NJSLOM NJSLOM YouTube Channel NJLM Blog       


February 8, 2013

RE: Sandy Assistance Reminder

Dear Mayor:

This is a reminder that applications for FEMA Public Assistance must be submitted by March 15, 2013. This is program differs from the Revenue Loss Assistance Program, detailed in our February 6 letter and Division of Local Government Services’ Local Finance Notice 2013-10. The March 15 deadline for this program likely will not be extended.

As a result of the storm, New Jersey’s local governments and private, non-profit (PNP) agencies may be eligible to apply for reimbursement of disaster-related expenses.

There are four types of eligible applicants for public assistance. If an entity meets the requirements of one of the types, the Applicant may be eligible to receive Federal disaster assistance.

1.         State Government Agencies

2.         Local Governments and Special Districts
Other State and local political subdivisions may be eligible if they are formed in accordance with State law as a separate entity and have taxing authority. These include, but are not limited to, school districts, irrigation districts, fire districts, and utility districts.

3.         Private Non-Profit Organizations
Private Nonprofit organizations or institutions that own or operate facilities that are open to the general public and that provide certain services otherwise performed by a government agency. These services include:

•           Education
Colleges and universities
Parochial and other private schools

•           Utility
Systems of energy, communication, water supply, sewage collection and treatment, or other similar public service facilities.

•           Emergency
Fire protection, ambulance, rescue, and similar emergency services.
•           Medical
Hospital, outpatient facility, rehabilitation facility, or facility for long-term care for mental or physical injury or disease.

•           Custodial Care
Homes for the elderly and similar facilities that provide institutional care for persons who require close supervision, but do not require day-to-day medical care.

•           Other Essential Governmental Services
Museums, zoos, community centers, libraries, homeless shelters, senior citizen centers, rehabilitation facilities, shelter workshops and facilities that provide health and safety services of a governmental nature. Health and safety services are essential services that are commonly provided by all local governments and directly affect the health and safety of individuals. Low-income housing, alcohol and drug rehabilitation, programs for battered spouses, transportation to medical facilities, and food programs are examples of health services.

4.         Federally recognized Native American Indian Tribes, Alaskan Native Tribal Governments, etc.

To qualify, an eligible applicant must first complete the Request for Public Assistance (RPA) form and submit it to the state’s Office of Emergency Management. Once the RPA is received and reviewed, a FEMA representative will meet with the applicant to go over purchase orders, time sheets, photographs of damage, or any other supporting documentation.

FEMA recommends that non-profit agencies damaged as a result of Hurricane Sandy apply – even if they have insurance.

Non-profit agencies interested in applying for Public Assistance should review FEMA’s checklist to see if they are eligible. If they are, they should complete and submit the Request for Public Assistance form and follow the grant application process.
The Office of Emergency Management’s Disaster Recovery Unit (DRU) is available to assist throughout the process. Any questions about applying can be emailed to the DRU at:

Very truly yours,

William G. Dressel, Jr.
Executive Director




Privacy Statement | NJLM FAQ
New Jersey State League of Municipalities • 222 West State Street • Trenton, NJ 08608 • (609) 695-3481
  FAX: (609) 695-0151