January 7, 2013
RE: Invitation to School Boards Forum
SAFE AND SECURE SCHOOLS: Perspectives after Newtown
The New Jersey School Boards Association (NJSBA), through the League, extends an invitation to municipal leaders to attend its upcoming statewide forum on school security, SAFE AND SECURE SCHOOLS: Perspectives after Newtown, on
Friday, January 18, 2013 from 8:30 a.m. to noon, at The College of New Jersey (Kendall Hall Theatre), 2000 Pennington Road, Ewing.
The forum is open to community leaders and municipal officials are most welcome. There is no charge for attendance. Pre-registration is required and can be made at the following link: Register Now (http://www.njsba.org/forms/safe-and-secure-schools-a-statewide-forum.php). The Agenda includes:
The Essential Connection between a Safe and Secure School Climate and Students’ Educational and Life Success
Maurice J. Elias, Ph.D.
Dr. Elias of Rutgers University is a nationally recognized expert in community and preventive psychology and school intervention. He serves as director of clinical training in the university’s Department of Psychology; director of the Rutgers Social and Emotional Learning Laboratory, and director of the Collaborative, Rutgers’ Center for Community-Based Research, Service, and Public Scholarship. For five years, he directed New Jersey’s Developing Safe and Civil Schools Initiative, working with 250 schools statewide.
PANEL DISCUSSION I:
Looking Forward: State School Security Procedures and Requirements
- Ronald Susswein, Esq., Assistant Attorney General, State of New Jersey
- Anthony Bland, State Coordinator, Office of School Preparedness and Emergency Planning, New Jersey Department of Education
- Raymond J. Hayducka, President, New Jersey State Association of Chiefs of Police, Chief of Police, South Brunswick Township
PANEL DISCUSSION II:
Looking Forward: Safety and Security at the School Building Level
- Dr. Christopher Manno, Chief Education Officer, Burlington Township Public Schools
- Michael Wanko, Principal, Piscataway High School, and author of Safe Schools: Crisis Prevention and Response
- Marty Kalbach, Director, New Jersey School Boards Association Insurance Group
Register Now This program is free, but pre-registration is required. Please complete the online registration form and indicate how many people you intend to bring with you.
We thank NJSBA for extending this invitation to our members.
Very truly yours,
William G. Dressel, Jr.