November 1, 2011
Re: New information on the DLGS website
The DLGS has updated its website with the following information:
1. Earlier this year, Governor Christie signed into law the New Jersey First Act (P.L. 2011, c.70). This new law establishes new residency requirements for all public employees. Local Finance Notice 2011-30 (www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/11lfns/2011-30.doc) provides a copy of the law,
guidance, and a list of questions and answers concerning the new law. Please share this with appropriate individuals in your organization.
2. Updated FY 2012 Fire District Budget Workbook: On October 31, 2011 the Division of Local Government Services reissued the FY 2012 Budget workbook for Fire Districts. This workbook has been UPDATED with small changes to the Summary Levy Cap Calculation (LC 1), Health Insurance Exclusion Calculation (LC 2) and SS-7 & SS-8. One important change includes an
increase in the group health insurance SHBP increase rate from 9% to 10.3%. The Budget workbook and other documents (Reference Guide, referendum resolutions, etc.) can be downloaded from the Division website at:
3. SHBP Rate Update: The Division of Pensions and Benefits has announced that the Health Benefit Percentage of Premium Calculators on the Web site have been updated for the new SHBP and SEHBP medical plans and rates for 2012. The calculators can be accessed at:
www.nj.gov/treasury/pensions/hb-percentage-home.shtml. Users should keep in mind that because percentages will increase as of July 2012, calculations should be compared for both Phase One and Phase Two percentage amounts.
4. Local Government SHBP Webinars: The Division of Pensions and Benefits has posted recorded webinars to educate local government employees of SHBP employers on the new SHBP Open Enrollment and the new plan designs. They can be viewed at https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/307840721. When signing up to view, if you receive a message that you need a codec, please go to https://www1.gotomeeting.com/codec and follow the instructions. SHBP and SEHBP Employers are urged to make this information available to their employees. Other employers can disregard it.
5. FY 2012 Authority and Fire District Budgets: The Division of Local Government Services has released FY 2012 budget documents for local authorities, fire districts, and housing authorities. All documents are available for download at www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/authreg/authmenu.shtml. The
release is accompanied by Local Finance Notices 2011-28 (authorities) and 2011-29 (fire districts).
6. The Division of Pensions and Benefits has posted new dates for employer training opportunities through the remainder of 2011. Training sessions are open to Certifying Officers and other personnel who are responsible for the administration of pension and health benefits. Details are available at http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/pensions/epic-messages.shtml#30 and
questions can be emailed to Education.Pensions@treas.state.nj.us.
7. The DEP Bulletin contains a list of construction permit applications recently filed or acted upon by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. The latest issue was released October 19, 2011. This issue can be viewed online at: www.nj.gov/dep/bulletin/bu2011_1019.pdf.
8. The New Jersey Housing Mortgage Finance Agency has announced the "New Jersey HomeKeeper Program" funded thru a grant from United States Treasury's Hardest Hit Fund. The program offers financial help to homeowners who are in danger of losing their home as a direct result of unemployment or underemployment. It provides assistance in the form of a second mortgage loan whereby the proceeds may be used to cover arrearages and/or an approved amount of the homeowner's monthly mortgage payment, including property taxes, property insurance, and mortgage insurance. Program details are available online at www.njhomekeeper.gov or the toll-free HomeKeeper call center at (855)-NJ-KEEP-1.
Very truly yours,
William G. Dressel, Jr.