July 7, 2011
RE: REMINDER: Articles requested for Octobers NJM Due August 10th.
RECEIVE THE RECOGNITION YOUR TOWN DESERVES!
I’d like to extend a personal invitation for you to submit an article to the League magazine, New
Jersey Municipalities sometime this year. With a circulation of 9,000 and a much larger pass
along readership, the magazine provides a unique opportunity to bring attention to your community.
Is a new program making life better for seniors, children or business owners? Or do you hold strong views on municipal issues? Have you found a new way to save money? If so, why not share your successes, plans and thoughts with your fellow municipal leaders?
New Jersey Municipalities is your magazine. In it you can find news from around the state. These story ideas come to us from a variety of sources—and one of them is you.
Contact Managing Editor Kyra Duran at kduran@NJSLOM.com or contact me directly at 609-695-3481, ext. 122, bdressel@NJSLOM.com for further details. I’ve included a copy of our Submission Guidelines with this letter and this information is also available on the League’s web site, www.NJSLOM.com.
We also welcome your submissions to our “As I See It” column, which is exclusively for mayors and council members. This is your opportunity to editorialize on an issue of general municipal relevance. Express your views and include the facts to support them in 800 words (3 double-spaced pages). Also include a photo of yourself and e-mail the article to NJM@NJSLOM.com For smaller items of interest and achievement, contact Taran Shearer (609-695-3481 Ext. 124, tshearer@NJSLOM.com to be included in her Garden STATEments column.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Very truly yours,
William G. Dressel, Jr.
ARTICLE SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
FOR NEW JERSEY MUNICIPALITIES
New Jersey Municipalities, the magazine of the New Jersey State League of Municipalities, is published every month, except for July, August and September. The 9,317 circulation consists of New Jersey municipal officials and staff, state-level officials and staff, and professionals interested in local government issues.
1. Articles can be from 800 to 1,500 words. The average length is 1,200 words.
2. The deadline is usually the 20th of the month two months before publication. (e.g. October 20th for the December issue) The exceptions are the deadline for the October issue, August 10, the November deadline, September 15 and the February deadline, December 15. If the date falls on the weekend or a holiday, you have until the next working day.
3. Please e-mail your submission to NJM@NJSLOM.com as an attached file. We prefer Microsoft Word documents.
4. Please provide a name for the byline and a one sentence bio of the author. We prefer that municipal articles are bylined by the mayor. Also send a high resolution (100KB+) photo of the author or authors.
5. Nearly all articles in our magazine include photos. Please e-mail them and include captions. Digital images should be j-pegs, .bmp or tifs and at least 300 dpi., with a file size of over 100KB (If you can’t supply a photo, we will try to find a general shot from our stock photography.)
6. We also welcome figures, charts or graphs. Please e-mail them separately from the text.
If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to call Managing Editor Kyra Duran (Ext. 123) or League Executive Director Bill Dressel (Ext.122) at 609-695-3481 or e-mail us at NJM@NJSLOM.com. Thank you.