June 29, 2011
Re: New Content on DLGS Web Site
The following updates were recently made to the Division of Local Government Services website:
1. The Division of Local Government Services is recruiting for several public finance positions. The positions include Chief of Authority Regulation, Manager of Local Government Research, and Financial Management and Auditing Specialist. Details are online at http://nj.gov/dca/lgs/miscpubs/job_opening.html.
2. Along with Governor Christie's recently released draft Energy Master Plan, the Division of Local Government Services and the Board of Public Utilities has completed additional guidance for local contracting units considering upgrading their facilities through the Energy Savings Improvement Program (ESIP). Local Finance Notice 2011-17 (www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/11lfns/2011-17.doc) "Update on Implementing Energy Savings Improvement Programs" includes a link to the first version of a Model Request for Proposals for ESCO services. Additional information on the ESIP program is available on their webpage at www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lpcl/esip.htm.
3. The New Jersey Housing Mortgage Finance Agency has announced the "New Jersey HomeKeeper Program" funded thru a grant from United States Treasury's Hardest Hit Fund. The program offers financial help to homeowners who are in danger of losing their home as a direct result of unemployment or underemployment. It provides assistance in the form of a second mortgage loan whereby the proceeds may be used to cover arrearages and/or an approved amount of the homeowner's monthly mortgage payment, including property taxes, property insurance, and mortgage insurance. Program details are available online at www.njhomekeeper.gov or the toll-free HomeKeeper call center at (855)-NJ-KEEP-1.
4. A letter from the NJ Department of Labor and Workforce Development was recently sent to store owners regarding New Jersey's Fireworks Laws (http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/lsse/employee/Fireworks.html). If you have any questions or comments about the Fireworks Laws, feel free to contact the Office of Public Safety Compliance at 609-292-2096.
5. The Division of Taxation recently mailed 2010 Homestead Benefit Application Packets to all eligible homeowners, both seniors and non-seniors alike. The deadline for filing is October 31, 2011. In addition, the deadline for senior and disabled residents to file their 2010 property tax reimbursement (Senior Freeze) applications has been extended to October 31, 2011. The original deadline was June 1, 2011. Assistance is available to the public by calling the Property Tax Reimbursement Hotline (1-800-882-6597) or the Homestead Benefit Hotline (1-888-238-1233).
6. The DEP Bulletin contains a list of construction permit applications recently filed or acted upon by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. The latest issue was released June 22, 2011. This issue can be viewed online at: www.nj.gov/dep/bulletin/bu2011_0622.pdf
Very truly yours,
William G. Dressel, Jr.