April 18, 2011
RE: New Content on DLGS Web Site
The Division of Local Government Service’s has posted the following new content on their website:
1. Over the last 4 months the Division of Pensions and Benefits has updated several Fact Sheets that affect local government officials and employees:
- Fact Sheet #21, Employment After Retirement (PERS)
- Fact Sheet #29, Employment After Retirement (PFRS)
- Fact Sheet #79, Defined Contribution Retirement Program (DCRP) for PERS, TPAF, PFRS, and SPRS Members
- Fact Sheet #80, Defined Contribution Retirement Program (DCRP) for Elected and Appointed Officials)
All fact sheets can be viewed online at www.state.nj.us/treasury/pensions/fact-sheets.shtml
2. Member Handbooks for the Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS) and Police and Firemen's Retirement System (PFRS) have been revised to incorporate updates and are available as viewable, printer-friendly PDF files on the Division of Pensions and Benefit Web site: http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/pensions/. The Division has also redesigned its Automated Information System at (609) 777-1777 with new Interactive Voice Response technology.
3. Library Tax Levy: The Division of Local Government Services has issued revised guidance on implementing the new municipal library tax levy. Local Finance Notice 2011-14 (www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/11lfns/2011-14.doc) revised how the new municipal library property tax levy is implemented by simplifying the budget and accounting transactions related to library levy and spending procedures. This action only affects those municipalities with municipal and joint municipal libraries. LFN 2011-14 replaced LFN 2011-13.
4. April 1st was the due date for the employer share of pension funding for PERS and PFRS programs. Please be advised that the law regarding payments require that if payment of the full amount is not made within 30 days after April 1, interest at the rate of 10% per annum shall start to run against the unpaid balance on the first day after the 30th day.
5. The Annual Financial Disclosure Statements required under the Local Government Ethics Law have been mailed to Municipal and County Clerks, Regional Authority Secretaries and County Colleges along with an updated Local Finance Notice 2011-11 (www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/11lfns/2011-11.doc) and 2011 Rosters. Please refer to the Notice for guidance on the filing requirements and be reminded that the filing deadline is April 30, 2011. The Local Finance Notice also contains new information on the consequences of a local official failing to file timely and completely. Please be sure officials with filing requirements are advised of their requirements. For more information please see our April 7 Dear Mayors Letter.
6. 2011 Property Tax Credits: Local processing has started for the 2nd quarter 2011 adjusted property tax bills for recipients of Homestead Benefit Tax Credits as described in Local Finance Notice 2011-6 (www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/11lfns/2011-6.doc). Adjusted tax bills were scheduled for mailing by April 1.
7. The DEP Bulletin contains a list of construction permit applications recently filed or acted upon by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. The latest issue was released April 6, 2011. This issue can be viewed online at: www.nj.gov/dep/bulletin/bu2011_0406.pdf.
Very truly yours,
William G. Dressel, Jr.