STATE BUDGET SUMMIT
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Patriots Theater at the War Memorial
West Lafayette Street
George Washington Ballroom
Trenton, New Jersey
WHAT NOW? NEXT STEPS TO RESTORATION
The Corzine Administration wants to complete all work on the budget by June 15. Accordingly, there is less than a month left to influence the key state decision makers on this. From the beginning of this process, when the Governor presented his proposal to cut vital municipal property tax relief funding, municipalities – large and small – have united to press for full restoration of the $189 million shortfall, which would represent only level funding. On May 13, the Corzine Administration proposed the restoration of $14.9 million in CMPTRA funding, but with concomitant new municipal relief program cuts and charges of $15.8 million.
Only full restoration of the $189 million in municipal property tax relief, slated to be cut in the Governor’s original proposed budget, would allow local budget makers to consolidate the gains made possible by last year’s modest increase. And that would provide a further boost to citizen confidence in New Jersey’s commitment to meaningful and sustainable property tax relief.
Here is what you can do…..
- Once again, contact your legislators and urge them to support full restoration. Explain the impact of the cuts on your fellow citizens. Ask for their commitment.
- Contact Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee Chair, Senator Barbara Buono, and Assembly Budget Committee Chair, Assemblyman Lou Greenwald, and urge them to support full restoration. Explain the impact of the cuts on your fellow citizens. Ask for their commitment.
- Contact Senate President Richard Codey and Assembly Speaker Joseph Roberts and urge them to support full restoration. Explain the impact of the cuts on your fellow citizens. Ask for their commitment.
- Use whatever contacts you have with fellow citizens, civic groups, business groups, the media, etc., to build momentum for full restoration.
- See Budget Cuts – More Action Needed
Hon. Barbara Buono, Chair
Senate Budget & Appropriations Committee
Two Lincoln Highway, Suite 401
Edison, NJ 08820
Hon. Richard J. Codey
449 Mount Pleasant Avenue
West Orange, NJ 07052
Hon. Louis Greenwald, Chair
Assembly Budget Committee
1103 Laurel Oak Road, Suite 142
Voorhees, NJ 08043
Hon. Joseph Roberts
Brooklawn Shopping Plaza
Rt 130 South & Browning Road
Brooklawn, NJ 08030