June 1, 2012
IMPORTANT CONFERENCE HOTEL RESERVATIONS LETTER
To the Municipal Clerk:
The League's 97th Annual Conference is scheduled for November 13, 14, and 15 in Atlantic City. The Conference will be headquartered in the Atlantic City Convention Center. Housing of our delegates will be citywide as noted on the enclosed reservation form. All housing reservations are processed by A.C. Central Reservations, Inc. Reservations may be made by mail, by fax or on-line. See the form for instructions.
NEW INFORMATION: The list of hotels has changed slightly. Be sure to check your preference is still on the list. Also, the conference schedule has changed slightly with the business meeting now on Thursday afternoon.
In most municipalities, the municipal clerk coordinates all reservations for all officials in the community and attaches a list of room reservation requests on one housing form. We are enclosing one form, which you can freely reproduce. If your officials handle their own reservations, you may photo copy the form and distribute it or request additional forms by faxing or calling the League office as well as downloading it from our website.
CANCELLATION DEADLINE: Cancellations made after Thursday, November 8th, will be required to pay for all cancelled room nights. Cancel deadline is November 7th for Caesars, Harrah’s and Bally’s. See attached for Cancellation Policy and Confirmation Procedure.
TAXES/FEES:The only way to avoid paying the Atlantic City Luxury Tax is to pay hotel bills by municipal voucher. To avoid paying sales tax, your tax exempt identification number must be provided.
There are also various other room taxes and fees noted on the enclosed policy and procedure. Please pay careful attention to these since they will be added to your hotel bill.
PURCHASE ORDERS: FORWARD THE PURCHASE ORDER/VOUCHER TO THE HOTEL IMMEDIATELY AFTER RECEIVING YOUR HOTEL ASSIGNMENT. DO NOT FORWARD VOUCHERS TO THE LEAGUE OFFICE OR A.C. CENTRAL RESERVATIONS AS THEY WILL BE RETURNED TO YOU.
PAYMENT DEADLINE: PAYMENTS MUST BE MADE TO HOTEL NO LATER THAN OCTOBER 12. NOTE: OPEN YOUR SPAM FILTERS TO ALLOW ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS FROM SERVICE@ACROOMS.COM.
To help relieve the pressure on rooms in the full-service hotels, the League's Executive Board has adopted housing guidelines. Under these guidelines, only municipal housing requests will be processed until August 5th. After that date, hotel and motel housing reservations will be accepted from other government officials and private sector persons.
Very truly yours,
William G. Dressel, Jr.
POLICY AND PROCEDURE TO KEEP IN MIND
WHEN MAKING ROOM RESERVATIONS
Any room cancellations after Thursday, November 8, 2012 will be required to pay for all cancelled room nights. Cancel deadline is November 7th for Caesars, Harrah’s and Bally’s. In cases where the municipality pays for reservations, the municipality will incur this charge for late cancellations.
This is an important procedure designed to reduce the occurrence of double booked rooms and no-show reservations. In recent years, the great number of unnecessary and unused room reservations has caused a false housing shortage during the League Conference. This false shortage has prevented many officials from getting their preferred hotels.
A.C. Central Reservations, Inc. will issue an acknowledgement number that acts as your reservation confirmation. This number will be sent to you either by e-mail, fax or regular mail, depending on the method that works best for you. When you get your acknowledgement number do not call the hotel. Most hotels no longer mail confirmations and the hotels’ reservation systems will not register your information. Your inquiry to them will cause confusion. Your acknowledgement number is your assurance of a room reservation. IMPORTANT NOTE: OPEN YOUR SPAM FILTERS TO ALLOW ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS FROM SERVICE@ACROOMS.COM.
Problems arise when people make reservations for more rooms than they need, or cancel room reservations, or don’t show up for their reservations. Thousands of no-shows and cancellations cause the hotels to reduce the number of rooms they make available to the League. That, in turn, means it becomes more difficult for everyone to get reservations in the hotels of their choice.
ROOM RATE TAXES AND FEES
When reserving a hotel room with a municipal voucher, guests will still be responsible for paying the following fees where applicable:
- Parking Fee: Varies by hotel but should stay constant during the show dates. Most properties are at $5.00 per night, with Sheraton at $12.00 self/$17.00 valet. Chelsea is at $10.00.
- Phone Fee for use of the room phone: Varies but normally is $.50 per local or 800 call. Tropicana is the only hotel that has an automatic $1.00 per day fee which covers unlimited local and 800 calls and is included in their Occupancy Fee.
- State Room Tax: All Atlantic City hotels State Room Tax is 14% which is exempt only by voucher.
- State Occupancy Fee: Casinos are $5.00 nightly; Non-casinos are $1 nightly. These fees are not exempt regardless if you use a voucher or credit card. The State permits hotels to increase this fee and retain the overage. The following properties have higher Occupancy Fee assessments; Bally’s, Caesars, Harrah’s, Tropicana, Trump Plaza and Trump Taj Mahal the Fee is $10.00.
- Must present a credit card at check-in even if you are paying by voucher. All hotels require credit or debit card presentation at check in. That card is run for a $100.00 incidental deposit (room service, phone, parking, etc.) any amount not used is credited back to the card at check out. Borgata’s incidental deposit is $150.00.
- Tropicana will not guarantee your room if arrival is after 10:00 p.m. If you are expected to arrive after that, please contact the hotel and make them aware of your arrival time. For other hotels, please call if your arrival will be after midnight.
BEFORE YOU MAKE RESERVATIONS --
1. Make sure the people you are reserving rooms for will show up. Check with people
for whom you are making reservations to be certain they are not getting reservations
through another method, such as their professional association.
2. Don’t overbook the number of rooms you need and don’t make duplicate reservations
at several hotels.
These practices create false room shortages which means, your colleague’s are needlessly unable to get the hotels they desire.
DEADLINES: CANCELLATIONS AND CHANGES TO # OF ROOM NIGHTS MUST BE COMPLETED BY NOVEMBER 8TH. CANCELLATIONS MADE AFTER NOVEMBER 8TH WILL NOT BE REFUNDED. DEADLINE IS NOVEMBER 7TH FOR CHANGES AND CANCELLATIONS AT CAESARS, HARRAH’S AND BALLYS.
PURCHASE ORDER/VOUCHERS: DO NOT SEND PURCHASE ORDER/VOUCHER TO A.C. CENTRAL RESERVATIONS OR THE LEAGUE OFFICE AS THEY WILL BE RETURNED TO YOU. FORWARD THE PURCHASE ORDER/VOUCHER TO THE HOTEL IMMEDIATELY AFTER RECEIVING YOUR HOTEL ASSIGNMENT. PAYMENTS MUST BE MADE TO HOTEL NO LATER THEN OCTOBER 12. IMPORTANT NOTE: OPEN YOUR SPAM FILTERS TO ALLOW ACKNOWLEGEMENTS FROM SERVICE@ACROOMS.COM
The best and quickest way of getting your reservation processed is by giving a credit card authorization, which you then can follow up with a completed purchase order or voucher once you receive notification from A.C. Central confirming the hotel in which you were placed.
Once all the rooms being held for the League are booked, A.C. Central Reservations contacts other hotels so they can confirm a reservation for you. Keep in mind, although the hotels can have 1,000 or more total rooms, only a fraction of those will be set aside for the League. The League’s block of rooms is adversely affected by overbooking so, even though you reserve early, it is possible your choice of hotels may be out of rooms. That said, early reservations are still your best method of getting one of your hotel choices.