August 27, 2011
Re: 2012 League Conference Resolutions
One of the most important functions of the Annual League Conference is the adoption of resolutions from member municipalities. The resolutions in essence, play a major part in setting the League’s legislative priorities for the forthcoming legislative session. We encourage you to consider the resolutions process as an opportunity to help craft good legislation to improve the institution of municipal government.
Member municipalities wishing to submit resolutions for consideration by the League Resolutions Committee at the Annual Conference must send a summary of the resolution to the League office by the first Friday in October (October 5th) the full text of the resolution is due to the League office by October 19th.
The Resolutions Policy and Procedures is enclosed. You will note that the League Executive Board has made some changes which, are designed to encourage your involvement in this very important process. If you have any questions on this, please do not hesitate to call League Senior Legislative Analyst Michael Cerra at firstname.lastname@example.org (609) 695-3481 x120 or me at (609) 695-3481 x122.
Very truly yours,
William G. Dressel, Jr.
LEAGUE POLICY AND PROCEDURES ON CONFERENCE RESOLUTIONS
1. The Committee will consider resolutions only from officials who are currently in municipal office. Resolutions must be general in nature and of demonstrable relation to municipal government interests.
2. A summary of the proposed resolution is to be sent to the League for review via fax, email or regular mail by the first Friday in October.
3. The full text of all resolutions submitted by member officials must be received in the League office by the third Friday in October. Every resolution must have a sponsor and co-sponsor. The sponsor or co-sponsor of the resolution must attend the meeting of the Resolutions Committee on Tuesday afternoon of the Conference week to speak on his or her proposal and to answer any questions of the committee members. The name and address of the sponsor and/or co-sponsor must appear on all resolutions.
If a resolution is recommended as part of the Resolutions Committee Report at the Annual Business Meeting *, the sponsor or co-sponsor must also be present to answer questions raised by the delegates.
4. Three copies of each resolution must be submitted in proper resolution form, on standard letter size or legal size paper. The Resolutions Committee does not draft resolutions; but they can amend resolutions presented to them.
5. Delegates may request copies of all the resolutions as received in the League office for the Resolutions Committee. These are available at League Information Booth located across from the registration desk on the second level of the New Atlantic City Convention Center during the entire Conference week.
6. Any resolution which contains reference to the Revised Statutes or to any other material, must have attached to it a copy of the material referred to.
7. The only resolutions to be considered at the Annual Business Meeting will be those which have been considered, endorsed and presented by the Resolutions Committee to delegates.
*Note: DATE AND TIME:
Thursday, November 15, 2012
3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Sheraton Convention Center Hotel
Pearl Ballroom, 2nd Floor
Atlantic City, New Jersey