October 9, 2009
RE: Please Support the Raise Me Up Campaign
The New Jersey Department of Children and Families, in conjunction with Casey Family Programs, has recently embarked on an important campaign – Raise Me Up – to inspire people to support children in foster care and prevent child abuse and neglect in communities throughout New Jersey.
New Jersey’s children need your help.
Raise Me Up has a mission to spread the message: “You don’t have to raise a foster child to raise them up. You just have to raise your hand and say you’ll help.”
Children right in your own municipality need your help, and the help of your friends and neighbors. As a municipal leader, you can help by talking about Raise Me Up at public meetings, posting the Raise Me Up Web icon on your municipal Web site and encouraging your constituents and municipal employees to join in this effort. You have the power to support vulnerable children in your community by supporting the campaign. Please spread the word about Raise Me Up, and talk about the campaign whenever you can, to whomever you can.
The Raise Me Up campaign offers easy ideas on how to make a difference in a child’s life. By simply visiting the campaign web site – www.RaiseMeUp.org – and clicking on New Jersey, interested people will be linked with a variety of options on how to help foster children in their own municipalities or counties. Opportunities to help will range from fostering, adopting or mentoring a child to distributing vital public awareness materials in your neighborhood.
New Jersey’s Raise Me Up campaign will benefit programs and services including:
- Recruitment of foster and adoptive families for teens, sibling groups and medically-fragile youth
- Support for adolescents transitioning from care by supporting their college education and career development
- Community involvement in local Family Success Centers, which support families in need
- Finding new mentors for local community Boys & Girls Clubs
- Donations to benefit recently reunified families
- Support for the state’s Court Appointed Special Advocates
- Raising community awareness of supports for youth in need, including a statewide, 24-hour youth helpline.
- Spreading the word about New Jersey’s child safety campaigns to prevent injury or harm.
On any given day, there are 8,800 children in foster care in New Jersey. The Raise Me Up campaign aims to not only help support children while they spend time in foster care, but help eliminate the need for foster care, all together.
Please visit www.RaiseMeUp.org for more ideas on how you can help make this campaign and call to action a great success for New Jersey’s children.
Thank you for your consideration.
Very truly yours,
William G. Dressel, Jr.