August 24, 2009
Re: Important New Information from the Division of Local Government Services
We would like to draw your attention to some important new information on the website of the Division of Local Government Services.
1. SFY and CY 2010 Budget Information: The Division has released Local Finance Notice 2009-17, "SFY 2010 Extraordinary Municipal Aid" (www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/09lfns/2009-17.doc) along with the Extraordinary Aid application worksheet (www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/09lfns/ea_application-sfy2010.doc). The Notice also reminds officials planning both SFY 2010 and CY 2010 budgets that took advantage of the pension deferral program about budget cap guidance contained in Local Finance Notice 2009-16 (www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/09lfns/2009-16.doc).
2. American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA): The New Jersey Departments of Agriculture and Community Affairs are advising that federal economic stimulus funding is now available through the ARRA. The US Department of Agriculture's USDA Rural Development program provides funding to eligible municipalities, counties, utilities, authorities, nonprofit groups and individuals (eligibility varies, but limited to municipalities under 20,000 in population). These are funds that would not come to state departments as a primary recipient to then be disbursed to others. For details on the twenty-five ARRA programs that the USDA administers, visit their website at www.usda.gov/wps/portal/arrapie?navid=USDA_ARRA_OVEW. For questions regarding these funding opportunities please contact Jeff Beach at 609-292-5531 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Rollover from 2009 Model Year to 2010 Model Year: The State Division of Purchase and Property fleet buyers are working to roll-over as many of vehicle contracts as possible to extend the ability of the state and cooperative purchasing partners to buy at existing pricing for longer periods of time. Local officials planning vehicle purchases should regularly review the website list showing the status of all vehicles (updated weekly) at: www.state.nj.us/treasury/purchase/mnmaster.pdf.
4. Non-Residential Development Fee Act: On July 27, 2009 Governor Corzine signed the NJ Economic Stimulus Act of 2009 into law. Part of this law temporarily suspends the Non-Residential Development Fee Act, the details of this section are online at www.nj.gov/dca/affiliates/coah/regulations/nrdf/notice.pdf.
5. Mailing Schedule of 2008 Homestead Rebate APPLICATIONS: The Division of Taxation is now in the process of mailing 2008 homestead rebate APPLICATIONS to homeowners who were UNDER AGE 65 and NOT DISABLED on December 31, 2008. The deadline for filing these applications is November 2, 2009. Tax Collectors received information on contact information for questions.
6. Mailing of Senior/Disabled 2008 Homestead Rebate CHECKS: The Division of Taxation began mailing homestead rebate checks on July 31, 2009 to eligible homeowners who were age 65 or older or disabled on December 31, 2008, and who filed their applications by June 1. Rebates for eligible senior and disabled homeowners who filed applications after June 1 will be processed and issued as quickly as possible. Rebate checks for non-senior and non-disabled homeowners (who are currently receiving their applications) are scheduled to be issued in October.
7. “OPRA Seminar for the Public”: The NJ Government Records Council will host its Third (3rd) Annual "OPRA Seminar for the Public." At this seminar, GRC staff will present an overview of OPRA, the GRC process, and discuss prior GRC decisions and Court decisions. This seminar will be held on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 at 9:30 a.m. at the New Jersey State Museum (Auditorium) in Trenton, New Jersey. There is no charge or pre-registration for this event. Department of Community Affairs CEU credits for certified local government officials are available upon request. For further information please call (609) 291-6830.
If you have any questions or concerns about this communication, please contact Jon Moran at the League, 609-695-3481 Ex. 121, or at email@example.com
Very truly yours,
William G. Dressel, Jr.