June 21, 2010
Re: Changes to the DLG website
The following changes have taken place on the Division of Local Government website.
1. FTC Red Flag Update: When extended last year, the Federal Trade Commission Red Flag requirements for organizations that extend credit to their customers to establish privacy procedures in the handling of their information was to take effect on June 1, 2010. But, once again, the FTC has extended the implementation date to December 31, 2010. Nonetheless, organizations with Red Flag responsibilities are encouraged to implement Red Flag requirements in their internal control systems sooner than that. The FTC has created new web sites with compliance information, with an emphasis on organizations with low risks. Check these web sites:
www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/redflagsrule/diy-template.shtm for guidance.
2. The State has released its 5-year adjustment of bid threshold under the Local Public Contracts Law, the Public School Contracts Law, and related statutes. Local Finance Notice 2010-13
(www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/10lfns/2010-13.doc) explains the change and important matters about how to apply the increased threshold. The new threshold takes effect July 1, 2010.
3. The Division of Taxation has extended the deadline for filing 2009 Property Tax Reimbursement (PTR) applications from June 1, 2010 to August 2, 2010. Public inquiries can me made by calling 800-882-6597 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. "OPRA Alert" Newsletter: The Appellate Division recently rendered a decision that greatly impacts how custodians charge for paper copies pursuant to an Open Public Records Act (OPRA) request. The Government Records Council (GRC) has included a discussion of this recent decision and instructions on how to calculate actual cost in its June 2010 "OPRA Alert Volume 2 Issue 3" (www.nj.gov/grc/news/alerts/). If you have any questions regarding OPRA issues, please contact the GRC for guidance at your convenience at 866-850-0511 or email@example.com.
5. The DEP Bulletin contains a list of construction permit applications recently filed or acted upon by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. The latest issue was released June 9, 2010. This issue can be viewed online at: www.nj.gov/dep/bulletin/bu2010_0609.pdf.
6. Local Finance Notice 2010-12 (www.nj.gov/dca/lgs/lfns/10lfns/2010-12.doc)
provides guidance regarding "The Impact of Chapter 2, P.L. 2010 on Local Unit Health Benefits Programs." The Notice provides important guidance to all local employers, those who are members of the State Health Benefits Program and those who are not.
7. Chief Financial Officers are advised that when required by Division of Local Government Services, CY 2010 budget examinations may not be completed prior to a municipality's hearing date. This is due to the large number of budget hearings that were scheduled through the end of May. If the CFO does not receive budget examination notes from the Division prior to the hearing, the scheduled public hearing must still be held as advertised, however, budget adoption will need to be postponed. Once the Division completes the review, the CFO will receive the examination notes from a DLGS staff member.
Questions concerning this can be e-mailed to the Division at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. The Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control has posted an important "Notice to Licensees and Municipal Issuing Authorities of Changes to Statute Governing Late-Filed Renewal Applications, N.J.S.A. 33:1-12.18" on their Division website at www.state.nj.us/lps/abc/index.html. The Municipal Clerk and ABC Board Secretary should immediately review these changes. Questions may be directed to Deputy Attorney General Lorinda Lasus at 609-633-6076.
9. A letter from the NJ Department of Labor and Workforce Development
(http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/lsse/employee/Fireworks.html) was recently sent to store owners regarding New Jersey's Fireworks Laws. If you have any questions or comments about the Fireworks Laws, feel free to contact the Office of Public Safety Compliance at 609-292-2096.
10. The Division of Pensions and Benefits has released guidance on implementing recently enacted laws related to changes in pensions and benefits. The laws are Chapters 1, 2, and 3 of the Laws of 2010. Guidance was sent to Pension Certifying Officers in each local unit. The specific pension guidance issues are found on the Certifying Letter web page:
The specific guidance is as follows:
Chapter 3, P.L. 2010 - Disability Benefit Changes to the PERS and TPAF:
Chapter 2, P.L. 2010 - Changes to the SHBP and SEHBP FAQs:
Chapter 2, P.L. 2010 - Changes to the SHBP and SEHBP:
Chapter 1, P.L. 2010 - Pension Changes to the PERS, TPAF, and DCRP:
Chapter 1, P.L. 2010 - Pension Changes to the PFRS:
11. The NJRA Redevelopment Training Institute (NJRA RTI) will be holding a one-day "Green Building Workshop" on June 23 from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. at Thomas Edison State College in Trenton. Consultants and developers well-versed in sustainable design, construction, operations, and planning will identify ways to reduce the burden on the environment in terms of resources, land use, and air and water quality. Lenders, business service providers and governmental agencies will also be available to share their resources and programs that can facilitate sustainable development practices. For more information or to register, visit http://www.njra.us/rti or call the RTI Hot